High School Writing Tutors in Los Angeles
Tutoring4Less offers talented high school writing tutors in Los Angeles to those in need. High school students are under a lot of pressure, between standardized tests and college applications. The complexity of reading and writing assignments continues to grow, while less and less time is spent in class on actually providing support on the technical aspects of essay writing or how to cultivate a helpful writing process. Luckily, there are remedies available. Private tutors can provide the vital assistance required to help students seeking additional guidance on their research papers, creative writing, or college admissions essays.
Preparing Writing Tutors for High School Students
High school students are caught between two worlds. Putting aside the childish elements of their lives in order to be taken seriously as adults, much is expected of them in terms of emotional and professional development. That pressure can chafe at times, especially when combined with social pressures and the requirements of a good report card. Luckily, the writing tutors at Tutoring4Less have not only gone through these rigors in their own lives but have helped numerous students do the same, many in the Los Angeles Unified School District. These tutors understand not only the curriculum but the difficulty of focusing on it when so much else is changing in a high school student’s life.
Tutoring4Less provides writing tutoring services to students in the:
- 9th grade
- 10th grade
- 11th grade
- 12th grade
Can a Tutor Help You Write an Essay?
Tutors at Tutoring4Less can help students with the following stages of writing an essay for school or college admissions:
- Deciding type/topic: in cases where a topic is not already assigned to the students, it is necessary to think of a topic to write about. A tutor can help a student find a topic that interests them and that will also prove a suitable subject of an essay.
- Brainstorming and research: considering the ways that a topic can be discussed, such as where/when/why/what/who and how, is vital to the formulation of a successful essay. Similarly, every great essay starts with research. A tutor can provide guidance on how a student can both brainstorm ideas surrounding a topic, and research productively.
- Thesis statement: after the foundation of the essay has been laid, a concise and clear thesis statement should be written to summarize the essay. While this statement should be one of the easier parts of the essay to write, choosing the right wording can be tricky for some students. A tutor is on hand to help a student find the perfect way to phrase the idea they are presenting.
- Outline: a good long-term habit for any writer to get into is to formulate an outline before beginning their essay. Organizing your thoughts is the best way to stay on track, keep to your word count, and produce writing in a timely way. A tutor will be able to show a student how to effectively outline an essay in a productive way.
- Writing the body: the body of the essay is where a lot of the work resides. With the support of a good tutor and implementation of all the previous steps, however, it should not be too onerous. It is important to bear in mind which writing style to use: a conversational or informal style is fine in different contexts but is rarely appropriate for an essay.
- Citing references: it is important for a student to support their writing with reference to source material. Different teachers might have different preferences for the way sources are referenced, such as MLA or APA.
- Editing: all students, when writing essays, must understand the importance of taking time to proofread and edit their work. Drafting is vital, and students should not get bogged down in editing as they write. However, effective editing of a completed draft is essential. A Tutoring4Less tutor will not edit or proofread a student’s essay; however, they will give students the coaching necessary to edit their own work and identify common mistakes. These skills will serve the student well in their future endeavors.
Best Online Writing Tutoring Services
Tutoring4Less offers tuition at our learning center in South Gate. However, we can also provide online tutoring services. The best online writing tutoring comes from those with in-depth experience concerning the subject area a student is facing. Our tutors will provide Los Angeles students with the aid they need to meet and exceed the challenges they face in their high school classes.
Find out more about Tutoring4Less and how it can help your high school student with their homework, test prep, even entrance exams. Contact us today to arrange a free assessment of your student’s abilities.