Summer 2022 is something we are all looking forward to and a summer program for your child is a big part of it. Whether your child is interested in STEM, art, sports, or a little bit of everything, Los Angeles has a program for everyone. But what should you choose if your child did not do as well as expected in the 2021-2022 school year? How can you help your son or daughter with an academic boost over the summer, to prepare them for the new school year? The “summer slump” is a well-documented phenomenon even for kids who meet or exceed academic standards during the school year. The summer slump, or summer regression, refers to students’ lower academic performance at the start of a new school year, caused by a lack of exposure to educational opportunities during the summer. Then, come fall, educators are required to spend time at the beginning of the year reviewing the material to get students back to their pre-summer levels.
At Tutoring4Less, we offer a summer tutoring program, otherwise known as Summer Intervention Program, with hands-on learning as well as fun activities. Our Summer 2022 program helps prevent the summer slump, so your child can start the new academic year on the right foot.
Academic Summer Camp vs. Summer Intervention Program in Los Angeles
If your child needs academic support based on the year-end results of 2021-2022 school year, your first thought may be to sign them up for an academic summer camp. Many summer camps offer 1-week or 2-week programs specializing in math, reading, computer science, earth science, or STEM. These programs offer some hands-on learning and/or focus on a specific subject. And of course, summer camp includes fun activities, field trips, and opportunities to make new friends. In Los Angeles and Southern California, you can choose from hundreds of camps for summer 2022. With COVID restrictions mostly lifted, there are sleepaway camps, camps on college campuses, Parks & Recs camps, and online summer camps. There are plenty of academic summer camps, ranging from creative writing to coding. Some camps are very affordable, while others can cost thousands of dollars. The choice of a summer program is often limited only by your schedule and budget.
What may work for some families may not work for others. Often, when you review your chid’s report card for the spring term, you may decide that instead of summer camp, a summer intervention program focused on academic skills may be a better use of your child’s time and your family’s budget.
What Should Los Angeles Parents Look for In a High-Quality Summer Intervention Program?
Many programs tout themselves as “the best” or “top-rated summer program in Los Angeles.” To help you cut through the noise, we recommend evaluating your options based on the following criteria:
- Balanced programming with daily opportunities for reading, math, and recreation
- Low student-to-staff ratios
- High-interest, engaging activities
- Positive interaction between kids and caring adults
- A safe, structured learning environment
- Personalized attention
- Bilingual staff
- Convenient location and hours
What Questions Can Parents Ask Before Enrolling Their Child In A Los Angeles Summer Intervention Program?
With so many programs to choose from, you may be asking some questions to help you narrow down the list of summer options for your child. We suggest asking the following questions:
- What is the summer program’s mission?
- How is a typical day/week organized? How will my child spend his/her time?
- What are the program hours and dates?
- How much does the program cost?
- Will my child be able to work on reading, math, and other skills?
- Will my child have an opportunity to choose some of his/her activities?
- How does the program assess or track each child’s progress?
- How does the program promote positive interaction between students and staff?
- Who are the staff and tutors? How many years of experience do they bring to the summer program?
- What type of communication can families expect?
- How much academic progress can I expect at the end of the summer? How prepared will my child be for the fall?
Summer Intervention Program at Tutoring4Less
Our summer learning programs are intervention programs that support accelerated learning during the summer months. Academically-focused summer learning programs differ from traditional summer school programs or academic summer camps in that they:
- integrate recreational, cultural, and/or enrichment activities
- blend remediation with enrichment activities and more advanced curriculum
- are attended by students of varied skill levels
- encourage positive relationships among peers and with adults
The Tutoring 4 Less Summer Tutoring Program is a readiness program for students from Pre-K to 12th grade that need to prepare for the academic challenges they face when entering a new grade level. Our program focuses on addressing a student’s academic weaknesses and building a student’s confidence. Whether it’s math, science, or writing programs you need, our tutoring services can provide the academic support that will support your student’s continued academic development. We even provide test prep services.
During the Tutoring 4 Less summer tutoring program, a student won’t have the distractions of school or homework and can focus on addressing all of the academic content that they have been struggling with throughout the previous school year. With the support of a private tutor, whether in-person or via online tutoring, your student’s tutoring experience will lift your student’s academic abilities and get them closer to achieving their full potential.
Whether your child struggled in school this school year and needs to catch up, or you would like to help your child build new skills and confidence, our Summer Tutoring program is a great alternative to summer camps or summer school.